Remember, remember... to keep your dogs calm this November!

Fireworks

80% of owners notice a change in their dog's behaviour during the firework season and nearly half of those say they are scared of them. 

Dogs have much better hearing than us so loud bangs can be deafening to them!

Here are some tips for helping them cope.

  • Take them out for their walk/toilet before the peak time in the evening. If they need to go out during, keep them on a lead so they do not bolt.
  • Allow them space to hide if needed. If they use a crate, cover the outside with a blanket.
  • Thunder shirts or an old t-shirt placed on your dog often has a secure and calming effect.
  • Having background noise on, such as a radio, can help dull out the background noise. Recently, a survey by the RSPCA revealed that two-thirds (63%) of animal owners reported their pet was distressed during fireworks season, and that playing relaxing music was the most common way (36%) to help calm or prepare their animal. Classic FM Pet Classics will be holding two special programmes specifically for pets from 5pm to 9pm on Friday 4 November and Saturday 5 November, when firework season is in its peak, for the most calming music.
  • Occupying toys such as a Kong or Lickimat can be used alongside our Autarky Wet range to give your dog something to focus on.

  • Calming plug ins or bandanas are available that release special calming pheromones.

If you find that your dog is really struggling, then speak with your vet who can give you further options such as a referral to a behavioural therapist who could help with desensitization, or calming remedies.

Spent fireworks and sparklers

Old or spent fireworks contain dangerous chemicals that can be harmful to your dog. The chemicals used in fireworks can cause a range of effects that often start with gastrointestinal problems. More serious effects can include fitting, breathing problems and problems with their kidneys or liver. If there have been fireworks in your area, always check your garden for spent parts of fireworks on the morning after.

Glow sticks and luminous bracelets

The liquid inside these glowing items is an irritant and, if eaten, can cause your dog to dribble or froth at the mouth, give them a stomach ache or could make them sick. Strangely enough, these items are particularly attractive to cats, so make sure to keep them away from any feline friends as well.

Older Post
Newer Post
Close (esc)

SIGN UP TO OUR MAILING LIST FOR 10% OFF!

Help yourself to 10% off your first order by registering for our mailing list. Don't worry, we won't bombard your with daily emails!

Age verification

By clicking enter you are verifying that you are old enough to consume alcohol.

Search

Shopping Cart

Your cart is currently empty.
Shop now