Things Your Dog Should Avoid This Easter

Easter is a great time to get active in the spring air and celebrate with friends and family. We know that dogs are a part of the family, so we like to include them.

However, there a few dangers to be aware of to ensure your working dog stays happy and healthy over Easter and throughout spring.

Here are Autarky’s Easter watch outs.

Easter Eggs. Did you know that chocolate is toxic for dogs to eat? Chocolate contains several substances called methylxanthine, caffeine and theobromine. Dogs and cats struggle to metabolise these (break down) if they digest them.

Theobromine is present in all forms of chocolate, but there are various levels in white, milk and dark chocolate bars. The darker the chocolate the more dangerous it is!

100-150mg of theobromine per kg of bodyweight is toxic to dogs.

For example, if you have a Labrador weighing 30kg, as little as 3000mg of theobromine could be fatal. Shockingly there is 3000mg of theobromine in one 500g bar of dark chocolate! Imagine if a smaller dog consumed this amount.

Even though the toxicity levels differ if your pet ingests any form of chocolate, the elevated levels of fat and sugar can also be factors in causing a reaction, so it’s crucial to visit your vet as soon as possible.

How do I know if my dog is suffering from theobromine poisoning?

If your dog is suffering from chocolate poisoning, symptoms usually appear within 2-12 hours. Symptoms include:

  • Hyperactivity or restlessness
  • Diarrhoea
  • Vomiting
  • Urinating more than usual
  • Quicker breathing/panting
  • Shaking
  • High temperature
  • Seizures
  • Rigid muscles
  • Increased heart rate and/or incorrect rhythm
  • High blood pressure
  • Collapse

In the worse cases this can prove fatal.

If you suspect your dog has eaten chocolate, seek help from your vet immediately. If you have the packaging from the chocolate eaten, always take this with you.

Hot Cross Buns are synonymous with Easter and you may be tempted to share some with you working dog.

Unfortunately, most hot cross buns contain raisins, currants and sultanas. While all forms of grapes are bad for dogs, it’s thought the dried versions of the fruits are more likely to cause severe symptoms if eaten by your dog. It’s not known which substance or chemicals in grapes causes poisoning in dogs, but even a very small number of grapes, raisins, sultanas or currants can be toxic. Extra caution should be taken with foods containing raisins, currants (dried fruit of dark grapes) and sultanas (dried fruit of white grapes). These are highly toxic to dogs and can lead to acute kidney failure or even death.

Daffodils are poisonous to dogs, especially the bulb, and contains a toxin called lycorine. Ingestion of the bulb, plant or flower can cause severe vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal pain, and even possible cardiac arrhythmias or respiratory depression. Daffodil ingestions can result in more severe symptoms if left untreated.

Tulips & Hyacinths belong to the Liliaceae family. The toxic part of these plants is very concentrated in the bulbs (versus the leaf or flower). Severe poisoning is often seen when dogs dig up the plants and eat a large quantity of bulbs. When the plant parts or bulbs are chewed or ingested, it can result in tissue irritation to the mouth and oesophagus. Typical signs include profuse drooling, vomiting, or even diarrhoea, depending on the amount consumed. With large ingestions, more severe symptoms such as an increase in heart rate, changes in respiration, and difficulty breathing may be seen.

Bluebells. All parts of the bluebell plant contain toxic glycosides that are poisonous to humans and dogs. If any part of the plant is eaten, it can cause serious stomach upsets, and if consumed in copious quantities, may be fatal.

Crocuses. Spring crocus plants are part of the Iridaceae family. If ingested, they can cause general gastrointestinal upset including drooling, vomiting and diarrhoea.

If you suspect your dog has consumed something poisonous, contact your Vet immediately and where possible, take a sample or a photograph with you of what you think your dog has eaten. Never try and make your dog vomit as you may do more harm than good.

Further information on poisons can be found here: Veterinary Poisons Information Service (VPIS).


Older Post
Newer Post
Close (esc)

Age verification

By clicking enter you are verifying that you are old enough to consume alcohol.


Shopping Cart

Your cart is currently empty.
Shop now